Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Field Trip

The first time I met Grizzlies Captain Ryan Kinasewich, it wasn't at a game, or a post-game skate, or any sort of a team/fan function. It was at the Salt Lake International Airport.


In January of 2009 I was coming back from California with a friend, and on our flight were several young men dressed in suits. We thought maybe some business convention was heading somewhere, but they all seemed to be together.


During the flight we watched them a little, but they were spread throughout the plane, so we couldn't really tell what was going on. We got off the plane and went to pick up our luggage - there they were again. They were all getting off in Salt Lake.


Then someone started handing them sack lunches. We kind of laughed to ourselves, remembering elementary school field trips, getting the sack lunches and trying to figure out who got what, then trading.


We picked up our bags and started toward the door. On our way out, one of the group smiled at us and said, "You ladies have a very nice day." We thanked him... and then I decided to ask.


"So, are you guys some kind of a team, or on a field trip or something? I mean, you've got your sack lunches and everything..."


He nodded. "Yeah, we're going to the museum."


He then explained they were a hockey team - the Utah Grizzlies, in fact - and had just gotten back from a road trip. I suppose I should have known, but they look different without the hockey gear. Anyway, we had a good conversation about the season and the road trip they'd just been on, and I asked his name. "Ryan Kinasewich," he told me. I told him I'd be to the games, and we went on our way.


I had pretty well forgotten about this until I saw this on the Grizzlies' website this morning:


After a late flight seemingly put a delay on the team's Tuesday evening arrival in Victoria, the Grizzlies decided to defy the odds and still attempt to arrive on time. That included taking the final 25 miles of the journey by school bus.



Maybe they'll stop at the museum on the way.


(Picture and text from http://www.utahgrizzlies.com/)



********


The Grizzlies play the first of their last three regular season games tonight in Victoria. A win tonight guarantees them a playoff spot.



Go Grizzlies!

No comments: